Learn to Write English Clearly and Correctly
Set 2 - Lesson 11
|Return to List of Lessons||Go to the Answer Key|
Return to the Say-it-in-English Entry Page
Lesson 11, Some Common Irregular Verbs: sing-sang, bring-brought, go-went
Most verbs in English follow a regular pattern:
|I want, you want, we want, they want, he wants, she wants, it wants||I wanted, you
wanted, he wanted
we wanted, they wanted
|I am wanting, he is wanting, you are wanting, we are wanting, they are wanting||I will want, you will want, he will want, they will want||I have wanted, you have wanted, he has wanted, we have wanted, they have wanted|
|I was wanting, she was wanting, you were wanting, they were wanting||I had wanted, it had wanted, you had wanted, we had wanted, they had wanted|
There are no surprises. Add 'S' for third person singular Present tense. Normal. Add '-ED' to form the Past Tense. Normal. Add '-ED' to form the Past Participle. Normal
However, many of the most common verbs in English do not follow the rules. Here are ten of them. Each will show the Present, Past, Future, Past Participle and Progressive forms.
|v Infinitive Forms v||Present Tense||Past Tense||Progressive Form||Future Tense||Compound (Participle) Form|
|to be||I am, (you-we-they) are, (he, she, it) is||was, were||being||will be, shall be||(have) been, (had) been|
|to have||(I, you, we, they) have; (he, she, it) has||had||having||will have, shall have||(have) had, (had) had|
|to sing||(I, you, we, they) sing; (he, she, it) sings||sang||singing||will sing, shall sing||(have) sung, (had) sung|
|to think||(I-you-we-they) think; (he-she-it) thinks||thought||thinking||will think, shall think||(have) thought, (had) thought|
|to do||(I, you, we, they) do; (he, she, it) does||did||doing||will do, shall do||(have) done, (had) done|
|to bring||(I-you-we-they) bring; (he-she-it) brings||brought||bringing||will bring, shall bring||(have) brought, (had) brought|
|to go||(I, you, we, they) go, (he-she-it) goes||went||going||will go, shall go||(have) gone, (had) gone|
|to drink||(I-you-we-they) drink; (he-she-it) drinks||drank||drinking||will drink, shall drink||(have) drunk, (had) drunk|
|to take||(I, you, we, they) take: (he, she, it) takes||took||taking||will take, shall take||(have) taken, (had) taken|
|to make||(I, you, we, they) make; (he, she, it) makes||made||making||will make, shall make||(have) made, (had) made|
Some words seem to be part of a pattern (sing, sang, sung and ring, rang, rung), but you will be wrong if you use that pattern for bring (bring, brought, brought). Take, takes and make, makes look like the beginning of a pattern, but the next forms are took and made. What this simply means is that you must STUDY, LEARN and REMEMBER. There is no other way to be sure.
Exercise A: Fill in the missing words in the sentences below. All will be present tense.
He ________ with me. (go) = He goes with me. She is _______ to town. (go) = She is going to town.
1. I _________ homework every night. (do)
2. Tina __________ math is difficult. (think)
3. My friends are __________ cooking classes this year. (take)
4. Jonathan ____________ my friend. (be)
5. The boy is __________ difficulty riding his bicycle. (have)
6. My mother ___________ while she cleans the house. (sing)
7. I always _____________ many books home from school. (bring)
8. We are ______________ cookies for Christmas. (make)
9. Young men often ____________ too much soda. (drink)
10. Mary _____________ to the dentist every six months. (go)
Exercise B: Change the verbs in these sentences to Past Tense. Write the new sentences on the lines.
1. Robert makes coffee at the office.
2. The clowns do funny tricks.
3. The horse is drinking water from the pond.
4. We bring flowers to the teacher.
5. Martha goes shopping in the morning.
6. The flowers are very pretty.
7. Tom takes his girlfriend out every weekend.
8. I am thinking about quitting school.
9. My dog has fleas.
10. Katrina sings terribly.
Exercise C: Cross out the incorrect verbs in the following sentences.
1. My brother and sister (was singing) (were singing) in the choir.
2. The photographer (taked) (took) my picture yesterday.
3. Jules and I (is) (are) in the same class.
4, I (am gone) (am going) fishing in the morning.
5. Victoria and Juliet (making) (made) plans for their vacation.
6. The rabbit (went) (is gone) into a hole in the ground.
7. The nurse (was doing) (is doing) her paperwork last night.
8. The student (thank) (thought) about the test question.
9. We (was having) (are having) toast and hot chocolate for breakfast.
10. The policemen (brought) (brang) their prisoners to the jail.
Examination: In the spaces below, write in verbs that will correctly complete the sentences. You may use any of the verbs or forms from this lesson. There may be more than one correct answer.
1. The pilot of the small plane _________________ off from the grassy field.
2. The elephant _____________ a huge mess when it walked into the house.
3. Phillip and Marie ______________ too much champagne at the wedding.
4. Ten large trucks _____________ the circus to town yesterday.
5. The old actor ___________ a terrible time remembering his lines.
6. When we are at church, we _______________ many beautiful hymns.
7. The clerk in the store _____________ to the back room for more bags.
8. Mr. Smith ____________ many different things before he became a teacher.
9. Olga _______________ the last one on the bus.
10. You _____________ this old clock was broken, but it wasn't.
|c. 2000 - 2017 Montoursville, PA 17754|
Hundreds of My Favorite Songs from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.
Get links to the videos of the songs and lyrics, Wikipedia biographies of the artists, and Then and Now photos.
Practice reading English with the Lyrics to the songs and the histories of the singers and bands at www.mikiemetric.com .
Return to the top of the page.