Learn to Write English Clearly and Correctly
Set 3 - Lesson 5
|Return to the List of Lessons||Go to the Answer Key|
Lesson 5, Basic Sentences:
In their simplest form, four basic sentence structures are:
What does this mean in plain English? First of all, it means that there is some order in English; there is some regularity and there are some rules that one can depend on most of the time. Let us define the terms used above.
Exercise A: Make five sentences using one term from each of the columns below for each sentence. Example: take a word or group of words from the NOUN column + a word or group of words from the TRANSITIVE VERB column + a word from the final NOUN column that will form a complete sentence. Write the sentences on the numbered lines.
|The children||will send||flowers.|
|The dump truck||play||baseball.|
Exercise B. Make five sentences. For each sentence, choose one term from each of the columns below. Write the sentences on the following lines.
|Noun||Intransitive Verb||(How, When, Why, Where)|
|The donkey||grows||in the sun.|
|The watermelon||runs||for the exercise.|
|The river||races||very quietly.|
|The tractor||speaks||in the morning|
|Patricia||rattles||all the time.|
Exercise C: Make five sentences. For each sentence, choose one term from each of the columns below. Write the sentences on the following lines.
|Noun||Linking Verb||Noun or Adjective|
|Going to school||is||my favorite activity.|
|Mr. Smith||is||our friend.|
Examination, Part 1: Fill in the missing part for each of the following sentences. Use the kinds of parts you studied in this lesson: Nouns or words that act like nouns, transitive verbs, intransitive verbs, linking verbs. There are many possible answers, but be sure your answers agree with the other words in the sentence.
1. ______________________ bought a new swimming suit.
2. Robert ______________________ black coffee.
3. Uncle John is ______________________________.
4. Swimming _________________ good exercise.
5. The soccer player kicks ___________________________.
6. Martin and Maria ________________________________ every day.
7. ________________________ was a good teacher.
8. ______________________ write _________________________.
9. The horses galloped ___________________________________.
10. Mrs. Harris _______________________________ very sick.
Examination, Part 2: Label the main parts of the sentences below - the nouns, the verbs, and the adjectives. Do not worry about words in the sentences that are something else.
1. Yesterday morning, the rooster crowed loudly.
2. Sam Smith pounded the spike with a large, heavy hammer.
3. My old doctor became too sick to continue seeing patients.
4.Writing sentences for English lessons is not my favorite job.
5. Ninety-nine red balloons floated into the sky.
|c. 2000 - 2017 Montoursville, PA 17754|
|Popular American music from the 1950's through the 1980's - links to videos, lyrics and the musicians.|
Return to the top of the page.