Return to the Say-It-In-English Entry Page.
Return to English for Everyday Living
In the Bathroom
The bathroom is the room where people get rid of bodily waste, shower or bathe, wash their hands, shave, comb or brush their hair, apply cosmetics and brush their teeth. Many homes in the United States have only one bathroom which is shared by all members of the family. Other homes have two or more bathrooms, with the additional rooms being used by children or guests.
|Joe is taking a shower.||George is shaving with shaving cream and a safety razor.|
|Now he is brushing his teeth.||Mrs. Martino is weighing herself.|
|Grace is brushing her hair.||Her friend is drying or toweling her hair.|
Common expressions used to go to the bathroom:
|Most people clean their teeth with a tooth brush and a tube of tooth paste||Bathroom scales show how much you weigh when you stand on them.|
|Many women use an electric curling iron to put curls or waves in their hair.||You can use a bathtub to wash your whole body. This is an old-fashioned tub.|
|A hair drier blows hot air onto your hair to dry it more quickly.||Typical bathroom with tub, toilet, sink, etc.|
Common expressions used in the bathroom:
Personal bathroom activities:
There are many terms used to name waste eliminating activities and products, but most of these terms are not considered polite or proper to use in general conversation. If you are in a situation that requires you to name one of these activities or products, the following terms, in order of preference, can be used.
Exercise A: Write a meaning for each verb that has something to do with a bathroom. Then write a sentence for each verb. You may use any form of the verb. (example: rinse, rinses, rinsed, rinsing. "Martha was rinsing her hands.")
Verbs relating to bathroom activities:
|VERB||MEANING||USE IT IN A SENTENCE|
|rinse,-rinses, rinsed, rinsing, rinsed|
|set, sets, set, setting, set|
|bathe, -bathes, bathed, bathing, bathed|
|dry, dries, dried, drying, dried|
|shower, showers, showered, showering, showered|
|floss, flosses, flossed, flossing, flossed|
|scrub, scrubs, scrubbed, scrubbing, scrubbed|
|splash, splashes, splashed, splashing, splashed|
|wash,washes,washed, washing, washed|
|brush, brushes, brushed, brushing, -brushed|
|shampoo, shampoos, shampooed, shampooing, shampooed|
|towel, towels, toweled, toweling, toweled|
|soak, soaks, soaked, soaking, soaked|
|blow, blows, blew, blowing, blown|
|wipe, wipes, wiped, wiping, wiped|
|comb, combs, combed, combing, combed|
|flush, flushes, flushed, flushing, flushed|
Exercise B: In the space after each noun, write a meaning that has something to do with a bathroom. Use your dictionaries.
Nouns related to a bathroom:
|medicine chest||bath tub|
|bath powder||curling iron|
|bath towel||hair spray|
Exercise C: Fill the blanks in the sentences below with nouns from the list above. There may be more that one correct answer for some of the blanks.
1. Before going to the dentist, Mrs. Jones cleaned between her teeth with ____________, then brushed them with _____________ and rinsed her mouth with _______________.
2. Tommy's mother told him to wash his hair with ____________ and dry it with a ____________.
3. Mary turned the ______________ to run _______________ into the ______________ .
4. When she was finished washing her hands, she pulled the ______________ and dried her hands on a _____________.
5. Andrew looked at himself in the ____________ as he dried his hair with a ______________.
6. Nancy sat on the _________________ as she washed her face with __________ and ___________ and a _________________.
7. Henry cleaned the ____________, ____________ and curtain after he took a shower.
8. Many people keep a spare roll of ______________ on top of the ___________ at the back of the _______________.
9. Aspirin and _____________ are stored in the _________________.
10. After bathing, many women use _____________ to feel dry and _____________ to make themselves look nice.
1. floss (dental floss), toothpaste, mouthwash
2. shampoo, towel
3. faucet (tap, spigot), water, bathtub (sink)
4. plug, towel (hand towel)
5. mirror, hair drier
6. commode (toilet seat), soap, water, wash cloth
7. tub (bathtub), shower
8. toilet paper, tank, toilet
9. bandages, medicine chest (medicine cabinet)
10. bath powder, cosmetics
|Favorite songs from the 1950's to the 1980's - links to videos, lyrics, bios of musicians.|
� 2000-2017 Montoursville, PA 17754
Return to the top of the page.