Return to Say-it-in-English Entry Page
In the Living Room
|Return to English for Everyday Living home page.|
|To order these lessons on an Audio CD or in print, go to the Order Page.|
Living rooms in United States homes are used for different purposes by different families. In some homes, the living room is a formal room containing the best furniture and is only used to entertain formal guests. These homes will have separate rooms for watching television, playing games or doing school work. It is more common for the living room to be the center of family life: the place where children play games or do school work, the place where the family watches television, the place where conversations with guests take place. Many times, all these activities occur at the same time, which can be rather confusing.
|This person is relaxing in a rocking chair.||This tan sectional with blue throw pillows is in a corner.||They are sitting on the floor watching television.||This is a green sofa or couch. It may be a sleeper sofa.||This is a stereo with 2 large speakers.|
Expressions used in the living room:
|A book shelf can be found in the living room or bedroom.||This is a modern glass coffee table. It collects fingerprints.||These people are in a living room having a conversation.||This is an end table with a vase of flowers on it.||This is one type of fireplace, with a mantle at the top.|
|If this is tall, it's a floor lamp; if it is short, it's a table lamp.||This is an upright vacuum cleaner, also called a sweeper.||This living room has a sofa, chair, coffee table and swag lamp.||A father is playing with his baby on an area rug in front of the couch.||This person is relaxing in a recliner.|
You may print out this lesson from the web page or order it free via e-mail.
Exercise A, Verbs used in the living room: Write a meaning for each of the verbs in the list below that has something to do with a living room. Make up a sentence using each verb.
|watch, watches, watched, watching, watched|
|help, helps, helped, helping, helped|
|behave,-behaves, behaved, behaving, behaved|
|clean, cleans, cleaned, cleaning, cleaned|
|vacuum, vacuums, vacuumed, vacuuming, vacuumed|
|find, finds, found, finding, found|
|have, has, had, having, had|
|rearrange, rearranges, -rearranged, rearranging, rearranged|
|dust, dusts, dusted, dusting, dusted|
|read, reads, read, reading, read|
|recline, reclines, reclined, reclining, reclined|
|run, runs, ran, running, run|
|wrestle, wrestles, wrestled, wrestling, wrestled|
|snack, snacks, snacked, snacking, snacked|
|Some people use a sewing machine in the living room.||This is a strange television set, or TV.||Sam is lying on the living room floor doing his school work.||Susan is lying on the living room floor reading a book.|
Exercise B, Nouns used in a living room: Write a meaning for each noun below that has something to do with a living room.
|curtain rod||sleeper sofa (sofa bed)|
Exercise C: Fill the blank spaces in the following sentences with the correct nouns from the list above. There may be more than one correct answer for some of the blanks. You may have to make some nouns plural.
1. When Uncle Dave visits us, he sleeps on the _________________.
2. The living room chair has a matching _______________ where you can put your feet.
3. The boy and girl sat together on the _______________ watching ______________.
4. They had put a ______________ in the ____________ so they could watch a movie.
5. In our living room, the ____________ has a _______________ in front of it and an ____________ at each end.
6. Some people prefer a ______________ made of oak in their living room, but then they cover part of it with a ______________.
7. You can use ________________ to hang ______________ at the living room windows.
8. A ________________ is usually made up of several matching pieces that fit together in the corner of a living room.
9. Children will often use a _______________ as a weapon when they fight in the ____________.
10. Older people often use _____________ to protect the back and __________ of their upholstered _____________.
1. sofa (sofa bed, sleeper sofa)
2. ottoman (stool)
3. sofa (couch) (loveseat)
4. video, VCR
5. sofa (couch), coffee table, end table
6. hardwood floor, throw rug
7. drapery hooks, drapes
9. throw pillow, living room
10. doilies, arms, furniture
|Favorite songs from the 1950's to the 1980's - links to videos, lyrics, bios of musicians.|
� 2001-2014 Montoursville, PA 17754
To contact us, copy and paste the following address in the 'To:' space of your e-mail program:
Return to the top of the page..